John is a Commercial Litigation Partner. Previously the firm's CEO and Chairman, John is a highly experienced commercial lawyer with over 20 years experience in litigation. Specialising in handling complex and high value commercial disputes he acts for a broad range of clients including PLCs and SMEs.
John is recommended by the legal industry bible 'Legal 500 2020' as ‘forthright and knowledgeable' where client feedback highlighted him as 'an immensely experienced litigator who understands mediation very well and the benefits it can bring to his clients.'
Regularly appearing in legal industry guide 'The Legal 500' for his litigation expertise, John specialises in shareholder disputes, contract disputes, breach of warranty claims, partnership disputes and professional negligence claims. Some of his notable cases include:
- Representing a well-known Rock Band in a claim for royalties against EMI records
- Representing a local business in a successful claim for damages in excess of £1 million against a national supermarket chain
- Advising a former professional rugby union player in a dispute with his permanent health insurers
- Advising in a claim where damages exceeding £20 million relating to assets in Dubai
- Defending an independent coffee shop chain in The High Court against allegations of breach of joint venture agreement by a national Australian company
Educated at King Edward VII School, Lytham, John went on to read law at Leeds Metropolitan University before returning to the North West to complete his training with Preston firm Roscoes. Qualifying in 1990, John joined Napthens when the firms merged in 2006.
More about John Whittingslow
Describe yourself in 3 words:
Decisive. Dedicated. Pragmatic.
Which actor would you choose to play you on TV or film?
Who would be your ultimate 3 dinner guests?
Willie John McBride, Admiral Nelson, Katherine Jenkins
How do you like to relax out of work?
Relaxing with family and friends and playing a bit of golf