Summer Specialism School
Each workshop will be interactive, providing opportunities for case studies and exercises, questions and discussion on the following specialisms including:
A typical commercial property purchase/case study looking at
- Interactive title review (registered land)
- Negotiating a contract and transfer
- Search review
- Enquiries session
- The exchange/completion process
What is Contentious Probate?
- Validity claims
- Inheritance Act claims
- Claims against Executors & Trustees
- Claims re lifetime transfers Interpretation, Rectifications & Variation claims
- Related claims and issues
- Probate Registry: caveats, warnings, appearance & summons
- ADR & Mediation
- County Court & High Court: Part 7&8 proceedings
‘A Day in the Life’ of a Contentious Probate litigator
- Draft letters & documents
- Formulating advice & strategy
- Speaking to clients, Counsel, mediators, opponents
- Preparing for mediation & Court
Wills & Estate Planning
- Introduction to IHT
- Introductions to Trusts
- Estate Planning in action
Quality Risk & Compliance
- What does a COLP do?
- What is Business Risk and how do we assess it?
- Current risk landscape for law firms
- Governance, Procedure & Culture
- What is Contract? Why are they important?
- Mini-contract review
- ‘A day in the life’ of a Commercial lawyer
- What makes a good Commercial lawyer?
- What is employment law?
- What do employment advisers do?
- Unfair dismissal – the basics
- Discrimination and equal opportunities in practice
- Employment tribunal claims – overview of the process
- Common myths debunked
- Pre-nuptial Agreements
- Review of a Financial Application:
- Form E
- Valuations -land
- Valuations- businesses
- Valuations – pensions
- FDR – Court led or private?
- What is insolvency?
- Introduction to personal and corporate insolvency regimes
- Introduction to contentious and transactional insolvency
- Case study