Pavement Licences

Placing tables and chairs on the highway outside restaurants, bars or cafes may require permission.  It is important to check the position prior to placing tables and chairs outside otherwise you could be asked to remove the furniture at the peak of summer time causing financial implications.

Local authorities deal with this area of law in different ways and there is no standard approach. Some local authorities request a pavement licence application, a planning application and sometimes a premises licence variation.

Generally pavement licence applications require numerous supporting documents  including plans, insurance documents, furniture information and barrier detail.

It is worth seeking legal advice prior to issuing any applications.