Marriage Licences

Civil ceremonies can take place at licensed venues including premises such as hotels and stately homes. Under the Marriage Act 1994, civil marriage/civil partnership premises approval can be obtained from the Local Authority.

Each Local Authority deals with granting the approval differently and the application fee also varies from area to area. The application requires supporting documentation to allow the local authority to make an informed decision on whether to approve the application or not.  The local authorities require information on the building in question including confirmation that it complies with health and safety regulations and fire regulations. It is also advised to check the position in relation to planning and provide any permissions if necessary.

Each Local Authority will probably scrutinise guidance and have their own conditions which they will review when considering if a premises is suitable. The application fee is usually non-refundable so it is important to draft the application correctly and support it with the relevant supporting documents.

If you require any advice in relation to obtaining an approval, then please contact a member of our team.